Pages

Jan 23, 2012

I Chased the Sun

I want to write about an experience I had Saturday (Feb 21) morning.

I woke up at 8 and was so happy that is was raining, pouring rain! I love the rain so much, even when it's cold! I thought about all that I needed to do: homework, run errands, photograph Kayla's preference group, hurry back to go to Brian Regan, and... Hmm... I want to be in the rain.

I didn't care what I would do in the rain, and, to be honest, I didn't know what to do. I just wanted to be in it, I wanted to live this moment because I knew that if I didn't, I would regret it for weeks like I have in the past. I wanted to live that moment to the fullest and chase the sun even though I knew I wouldn't catch it.

So I hopped out of bed and grabbed some warm layers. As I went downstairs I ran into my mom, then dad, and later my brother. Each one asked what I was doing, to which I responded "going outside," and they each asked why.

Why.

Did I not have other obligations that would keep me busy? Of course I did, I have a constant "to-do" list that never seems to end.

Why.

Couldn't I have spent that time getting ready for the day and gotten some of my "to-do's" accomplished? Absolutely.

Why.

I'm sure that my family was just curious as to why I would want to be in the rain. I know they weren't asking these accusatory questions in their minds. (I just thought those questions would be the "average" person's thoughts.)

Why.

Why not?

I chased the sun. I the let cool water spatter onto my face. I spun in circles and felt the rain fall for me. I let my body fly in the air like a raindrop (thank you, trampoline). I didn't worry about what was happening in the chaotic world around me. I didn't worry about who was watching or who would care. I chased the sun. I stopped thinking, I stopped caring, I just was.

"Sometimes the trick to being yourself is to stop thinking about who that person is, and just to be." --Yan

If you ever get a moment to just be, take it. Live it. Chase the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment