Pages

Jan 27, 2012

Unexpected Feeling

A few weeks ago I was taking some images around my house test-driving a Contax 645 camera (medium format film camera).

I had only 16 images to take so I was running around trying to make compositions in the house. I figured that if I was test-driving the camera I should probably photograph that which I will be photographing for work: people. So I stopped my mom as she was on her iPad, told her to look at me with a soft smile as I got the focus and lighting.

I've never photographed my mom like that before. I've taken her picture while on vacation or at a fun event, but I had never photographed her.

I ended up doing 3 images of her (because I failed to count and she blinked the first two times) and each time there was a distinct feeling there that I still can't put into words.

It felt as if...

It's seriously difficult to grab suffice words, so just go with me on this...

As if I were meeting my mom for one of the first times ever in my life.

The feeling was an immense amount of love plus a connection of heart and personality. It felt like I was peeling back the layers to reveal the true woman she is.

Now, this was my mom; we know each others' personalities better than anyone. So why would I feel this? What layers have I not seen shed in our 22 years together?

No idea.

All I know is that when I viewed her through the camera, layers fell, and the wonderful woman my mom truly is was revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment